Do you have “NORMAL” skin?
If the answer to that is YES - then do you realise just how lucky you are? It means that you have the skin type which is the goal of most skincare regimens.
Normal skin basically has a good moisture balance, small pores and an even tone
If the answer is I HAVE NO CLUE - then this is what you need to do:
- Wash your face with your daily face wash; pat dry and wait for 10 minutes.
- Do not apply any other product on your face.
- Evaluate your skin after 10 minutes - if it doesn’t feel overly dry or oily then it probably just feels “normal”.
In other words - your skin can be classified as normal if it isn’t particularly oily or dry and if anti-aging, acne, and sensitivity are not an issue for you.
The backbone of all skincare routines is CTM - an acronym for Cleansing Toning Moisturising.
HERE IS THE BEST SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR NORMAL SKIN
MORNING ROUTINE - MORNING ROUTINES ARE ALL ABOUT PROTECTION
- CLEANSE: Wash your face with a gentle, non foaming, sulphate free cleanser. We recommend Vya Naturals Vitamin C Face Wash - a gentle non foaming face wash that can be used AM and PM. Contains antioxidant rich Vitamin C as an active ingredient.
- TONE: Give your skin some extra hydration with a splash of toner. Avoid toners formulated with alcohol as they dry out your skin (read labels - they can be listed as SD alcohol 40, denatured alcohol, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol). We recommend Vya Naturals Luxury Rose Water Toner - a refreshing floral water toner made of fresh steam distilled rose petals. Can be used AM & PM. It is 100% alcohol free and does not contain artificial colour or artificial fragrance.
- MOISTURISE: Normal skin can use a wide range of moisturisers. Make sure to apply an even layer on your face and neck. We recommend Vya Naturals Vitamin C Moisturiser - a light-weight, beautifully formulated moisturiser that can be used AM and PM. It contains antioxidant rich Vitamin C active and keeps skin moisturised and radiant.
- SPF PROTECTION: Apply a generous amount of sun protection on your face and neck (dermatologists recommend min ½ teaspoon of fluid for an average sized face). Select a broad spectrum sunscreen with minimum SPF 30 (UVB ray protection) and PA rating +++ (UVA ray protection)
EVENING ROUTINE - EVENING ROUTINES ARE ALL ABOUT RECOVERY
- CLEANSE - same as morning routine
- TONE - same as morning routine
- SERUM - Introduce a serum into your evening skincare routine - one with antioxidants like Vitamin C is ideal. Serums are the workhorses of any skincare routine. We recommend Vya Naturals Vitamin C Serum - a light-weight water based highly stabilised Vitamin C serum. Can be comfortable worn under moisturiser and makeup.
- MOISTURISE - as above. You can choose to use a heavier moisturiser in the evening should you wish to, especially if you sleep in an artificially cooled or heated room. We recommend Vya Naturals Vitamin C Moisturiser - a light-weight, beautifully formulated moisturiser that can be used AM and PM. It contains antioxidant rich Vitamin C active and keeps skin moisturised and radiant.
ADD ON TO THE BASIC ROUTINE
If you have mastered the basic skincare routine for your normal skin but would like to take it a step further, here are some things you could try:
Your skin cells have a life cycle. Old skin cells are replaced by new ones. This process is called exfoliation and it occurs naturally in our bodies.
However by the time we reach our 30’s this process slows down. Old skin cells sit for longer on the surface of our skin making it look duller.
Select a scrub that is non abrasive and gentle on the skin. Avoid scrubs containing crushed walnut kernels as these create micro tears in the skin. Plastic micro-beads are easier on the skin but tough on the environment.
So look for natural ingredients like oatmeal and besan in your exfoliant. Include exfoliation once a week into your skincare regime.
We recommend Vya Naturals Rose Balancing Scrub - a nourishing and hydrating mask + exfoliant that contains finely milled oatmeal, milk powder, neem leaves and real rose petals. To be used once a week.
Here are some easy to make DIY routines with which you can pamper your skin on a daily basis. Normal skin is an easy to care for skin type and does not trouble you much. Repay it be giving it an occasional treat with these make at home masks. These are simple to make and are just one ingredient formulations. Which basically means you need just a spoon and your fingers as tools.
Apply a thin layer of home-made yogurt on your face. Rinse off after 10 minutes and gently pat dry. Yogurt contains lactic acid which is a natural source of AHA or alpha hydroxy acid.
Apply a thin layer to raw organic honey on your face. Rinse off after 10 minutes and gently pat dry. Honey is intensely hydrating. It also has antibacterial properties that benefit the skin.
EGG YOLK MASK
Separate the yolk from the white and apply a thin layer of yolk on your face. Rinse off after 10 minutes and gently pat dry. Egg yolks are rich in protein which keep your skin healthy while the vitamins and mineral rejuvenate your skin.
COCONUT MILK MASK
Apply a thin layer of fresh coconut milk on your face. Rinse off after 10 minutes and gently pat dry. Coconut milk has anti inflammatory benefits. It also has antimicrobial and antibacterial benefits that keep your skin healthy.
Almost any fruit from your kitchen will do the trick. Avoid fruits that are very acidic as these can disturb the acid mantle of your skin. Avocados, bananas, strawberries and papaya are wonderful choices.
Normal skin is the ideal skin type we all work towards.
Stick to a basic but consistent skincare regime that will help your skin stay happy and healthy.
Do let us know if you enjoyed reading this blog in the comments below. We would love to hear any questions or suggestions that you may have.
Wish you a happy & healthy skin!