If you were to take a closer look at the ingredient list of your favorite skincare products chances are you would spot an unsung hero in most of them.
This quiet superstar is NIACINAMIDE and your skin loves it! Niacinamide is a versatile ingredient with something to offer all skin types and skin concerns. Let’s get to know it a bit better.
WHAT IS NIACINAMIDE?
Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3 - a water soluble vitamin that is great for skin, hair and overall health.
It is considered an essential micronutrient.
Our bodies do not synthesise Niacinamide. Hence, we need to include it in our diet or apply it topically to avail of its benefits.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF NIACINAMIDE
- Niacinamide helps your body maintain the necessary levels of Vitamin B3
- Niacinamide supports brain health. It also benefits joints and improves digestive health
- Niacinamide is useful for healthy skin by improving skin barrier and thereby also improving overall skin appearance
DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT SKIN TYPE WHILE USING NIACINAMIDE?
The most wonderful thing about Niacinamide is how it benefits ALL skin types.
- Niacinamide improves your skin’s immunity from external aggressions. It helps your skin build a protein called keratin, which keeps skin healthy and firm.
- Niacinamide helps regulate oil produced by skin’s sebaceous glands. This keeps oily skin happy as it prevents blocking of pores that leads to acne and other such skincare concerns.
- Dry skin benefits from Niacinamide because it helps keep its lipid barrier intact. This in turn prevents moisture loss and keeps skin hydrated and healthy.
- Niacinamide helps skin recover from oxidative stress caused by exposure to pollution, sunlight and toxins. Since this reduces inflammation your skin will start to show less redness as a reaction to acne or eczema.
- Niacinamide helps to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores on the skin mainly because it helps control excessive oil production and also by increasing the moisture content of the skin.
- Niacinamide is helpful in controlling pigmentation by blocking the transfer of pigment forming cells to the skin’s surface.
- Mature skin benefits from Niacinamide as well because the improved skin barrier and increased hydration levels slow down the appearance of fines lines and wrinkles.
HOW CAN I START USING NIACINAMIDE IN MY SKINCARE ROUTINE?
Niacinamide is available in several skincare products - cleansers, toners, moisturizers and lotions to name a few.
The best and most efficient way to incorporate this star ingredient into your skincare routine though has to be in the form of a serum.
Serums after all are concentrated skincare products with higher levels of active ingredients and show great results when used appropriately.
Apply Niacinamide serum to cleansed and toned skin. Follow up with a moisturizer and sunscreen.
Niacinamide can be used as part of your morning and evening skincare routine. You can also safely use it twice daily should you so wish.
Niacinamide Serum can also be layered with other serums. As always, start with a serum that is thinner or more runny in texture and move on to heavier serums while layering.
WHAT IS THE IDEAL LEVEL OF NIACINAMIDE TO SHOW RESULTS?
Niacinamide products can have varying levels of the active ingredient, depending on the brand and the specific product (i.e. whether it is a leave-on product like a lotion or serum or whether it is a wash off product like a cleanser).
Most visible results have been observed at concentrations varying from 4% to 10%.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS TO USING NIACINAMIDE THAT I SHOULD BE AWARE OF?
Niacinamide is a gentle, stable active and is well tolerated by most skin types.
Nevertheless it is best to test for skin sensitivity if you are using a niacinamide for the very first time (this protocol holds true for any new product that you might be introducing into your skincare regime).
If you have very sensitive skin you may want to not introduce too many new serums or actives along with niacinamide. It is good practice to get your skin gradually accustomed over a period of time to new skincare products.
Take the time to read the label of your Niacinamide serum.
A well formulated serum such as the Vya Naturals Niacinamide Serum will be free of potential irritants such as synthetic fragrance and colour and will contain other skin friendly ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera and Rosemary extracts.
IS IT SAFE TO USE OTHER SKIN CARE ACTIVES WHILE USING NIACINAMIDE?
Yes! Niacinamide can safely be used with other skincare products that contain antioxidants, anti inflammatory ingredients, humectants and similar such skin friendly ingredients.
Using Niacinamide with Hyaluronic Acid active is a great option since Hyaluronic Acid improves the skin’s absorption of niacinamide. You can use Vya Naturals Niacinamide Serum.
Since Niacinamide application strengthens the skin’s barrier it plays a key role in helping reduce irritations that might be caused by other ingredients.
BEFORE WE END
Let’s talk about the confusion regarding the use of Niacinamide in conjunction with Vitamin C.
Studies have shown that if Niacinamide and pure Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) are mixed and heated to very high temperatures over a long period of time then it results in the formation of nicotinic acid.
Skincare care products containing Niacinamide and Vitamin C can be used together in your skincare regime since normal usage patterns do not replicate the lab conditions described above.
Also most skincare products (including the Vitamin C range from Vya Naturals) use highly stable forms of Ascorbic Acid such as Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate or 3 Glyceryl Ascorbate.
Niacinamide by itself is very stable and not susceptible to heat or pH.